Ever wondered health professionals do it?
We have fantastic track record when it comes to the cleaning, maintenance and cleaning up of carpet so check out some of our tips on how the pros do it.
How to ensure that you get lasting value and a long life from your carpets
Vacuum the carpet regularly with a good quality vacuum cleaner that has a rotating brush and a good filter. This will help reduce the buildup of oil as well as removing a lot of dust and gunk.
- Examine the carpet before using any cleaner. Some carpet are quite sensitive to certain asset types of cleaners so it is important to check if your carpet is sensitive, otherwise the wrong cleaner could act as a bleach making the staying you are trying to remove the least of your problems.
- Don’t you strong spotting agents in less necessary, and always neutralise the pH balance of a high alkaline cleaner after its use.
- If you need to use a spotting agent, start with the mildest and slowly work towards the harsher cleaners.
- Don’t brush the spot to clean it, the correct method is to rub it towards the middle and then compress using a cloth to soak up.
- Be careful with detergents. Don’t increase the quantity beyond what is recommended because it won’t boost the efficiency of the cleaner. What actually happens is it will leave a residue which will be hard to remove with a vacuum cleaner. It’s this residue that will end up being sticky, and so it will attract more dust and lead to dirtier carpets faster than ever before.
- Don’t use too much water. Using too much water can cause all sorts of problems including carpet shrinkage, warping, adhesion problems and colour changes.
- Make sure the carpet is a dry within 12 hours of cleaning. Carpet that is slow to dry builds up mould and mildew, they smell and the smell tends to hang around a long time. So use a good ventilation, central heating or air conditioning to help dry carpets fast.
- For some reason, people seem to spill a lot of chocolate milk on carpet. We have found the best product to remove this is called “simple green” (it’s non-toxic and we think it works great).
Taking care of your carpets will help make sure that the carpet last for a lot longer. Cleaning your carpet is something that should happen regularly, especially vacuuming. So how often you need to clean the carpet will depend on how much where it sees, the season and the weather and more.